Thursday, January 21, 2010

Rejoice!


She wrote “I’ll be happy when my kids are happy.” I responded that they won’t be at the same time for any length of time. To worry about their happiness is not fruitful. And, if she couldn’t be happy, try rejoicing:

Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. (Habakkuk 3:18 KJV)

Now that’s a reason to shout with joy!!

So much better than worrying. For our study in Philippians last week I had to look up the word "Worry." Contrary to my daughters' opinions, none of the sites defining the word had a picture of me! There were several with the same etymology -- the word came from"to strangle" in Old High German through Old and Middle English to the American today and it still starts with:

1 - To harass by tearing, biting, or snapping especially at the throat; to shake or pull at with the teeth; to touch or disturb something repeatedly; choke, strangle.
2 - To subject to persistent or nagging attention or effort; torment
3 - To afflict with mental distress or agitation; make anxious

None of those definitions sound productive. None will produce happiness, much less joy.

Paul was imprisoned in Rome when he wrote to the church at Philippi. If you haven't read the book recently, please take a few moments and do so. Only four chapters long, it is a wealth of strength for a Christian. Paul thanked the church for providing support for him:

But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity. (Philippians 4:10 KJV)

He didn't complain of any neglect, understanding that the church lacked opportunity to provide assistance. As soon as they were able to do so, they again took care of his needs. Which would have been few since his accommodations consisted of a cell and his food served by guards. Yet he wrote:

Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. (Philippians 4:11 KJV)

Paul, a leader of his Jewish faith and on the fast track of his career in his youth, was familiar with success and failure. He knew pain and torment but lived with blessings and joy. We read them in his epistles.

I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. (Philippians 4:12 KJV)

Before closing with a prayerful blessing of the church for God’s grace to be with them, he confirms what he’s lived with since meeting Christ on the road to Damascus.

But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19 KJV)


Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. (Philippians 4:4 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)